Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What a Weekend!!

Wow...I didn't realize that it's been a week since I posted a blog. D ships out in exactly 1 week. I can't believe it's coming so fast. I hope he's ready. I know he will do fantastic. So far he is still working at his current job too. This is completely unexpected and a blessing for us as well.  My Dad who is a retired Marine Corps Warrant Officer, came to to visit us this weekend. He wanted to see D before he ships out and wish him well. He's so incredibly proud of him. I was super excited to see him cause he had just recently finished radiation therapy out at Balboa in San Diego for throat cancer and I hadn't seen him since before he started his treatment.

We had decided to head down to Tombstone and check it out. Something to get us all out of the house and spend some time together. Our trip didn't turn out as we had planned, however, it was a blessing in disguise that we went. My Stepmother, had a Heart Attack while we were there. It was super scary. She all of a sudden got super tired and weak, so dad sat her down on a bench. She than started a seizure type move and feel unconscious. She did this 3 times.Her skin was very cold and calmly, and her lips and face were completely gray.  I went into the visitor's center, which we happened to be right outside of and called for help. The Marshall showed up as well as the EMT's. The paramedics were a bit further away, so we had to wait for them to come from the other town.

She started looking better, and started fussing that she was fine. Just tired. Being stubborn. After everyone got there to assess her completely, they recommended that she go in the ambulance and be taken to the nearest hospital. She was super resistant. Just wanted us to take her in the truck instead. Saying it wasn't necessary. My dad tried to tell her that if something happened in the truck, we wouldn't know what to do and it would be best to let them take her. She kept fighting the situation. I finally looked at her and said, "look, you're not putting anyone out here. We are concerned about you. It's better to be safe than sorry. Do you want to be here tomorrow?" She finally sighed and agreed. My dad rode with her to the hospitial.

I am so grateful that she listened to me. Within 10 mins in route, her heart stopped and she had to be shocked back into rhythm, twice! She is incredibly lucky to be alive right now. The doctors have told her repeatly that if she hadn't of gotten in that ambulance she would be dead right now. It's called Sudden Cardiac Death. There would of been nothing that we could of done to help her. It's horribly scary.

She is currently stable and undergoing tests at the Tucson Heart Hospital. She couldn't be in better hands at the moment. She is looking better and finally eating again. We are clear that there have been warning signs for awhile now that have lead to this episode. My dad is so grateful that they were here at the time. If they had been at their home, she would of died. She would of just went and laid down and wouldn't of woken back up. She had been trying to get out of going to Tombstone with us, and we are so pleased that we convinced her to go, cause otherwise we would of come home to a horrific find. We can't focus on the what if's though and need to focus on the blessings in this horrible experience.

It's been a crazy, overwhelming, emotional weekend. I need to go for a run to burn off some of the stress. : (

2 comments:

3HappyHippies said...

Holy shit chic! I am glad to hear she is better and that they were there to get the help she needed. That is way to much to take in I think and I wasnt even there.

That aside...one week?! WOW! I know you will do fine as will he. A true military wife you will be! Welcome to the club. Did you ever see yourself in these shoes? So many positive and productive changes. A new and healthy you plus a new and exciting adventure.

Unknown said...

super scary!

Keep us posted for sure!